Resolution tabled by the Parliamentary Group of AKEL-Left-New Forces in the House of Representatives denouncing the US decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel
AKEL C.C. Press Office, 8th December 2017, Nicosia
For your information, the resolution tabled by the Parliamentary Group of AKEL-Left-New Forces on the US decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. The resolution is expected to be discussed in the plenary session of the House of Representatives on Monday.
“Resolution of the House of Representatives
The House of Representatives of the Republic of Cyprus,
– Having regard to UN Resolution 181 (1947) which defined a special international status for Jerusalem, as well as all the other relevant resolutions of the General Assembly and decisions of the UN Security Council,
– Having regard to UN Security Council resolution 478 (1980) which determined that all legislative and administrative measures and actions taken by Israel, as an occupying power, and which had altered or attempted to alter the character and status of Jerusalem, and in particular the Basic Law (which declared Jerusalem the complete and united capital of Israel), are null and void and must be rescinded forthwith;
– Taking into account the statement by the High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy on 6th December, which reiterates that Jerusalem must be the future capital of both states, expresses concern about the decision of the US President in relation to Jerusalem and reiterates the position of the EU and the Member States to continue to respect the international consensus on Jerusalem as expressed, inter alia, in UN Security Council Resolution 478, including the location of their diplomatic missions until the settlement of the final status of Jerusalem .
Votes as follows:
- Denounces the decision of the US Government to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of the State of Israel, stresses that this action is contrary to the Resolutions of the UN, creates serious dangers for security in the region and undermines the efforts for a solution of the Middle East issue. It calls on the US to revoke this decision,
- Calls on the Government of the Republic of Cyprus to take a position at an international and European level against this action and to defend our country’s longstanding positions of principles,
- Reaffirms the enduring support of the Republic of Cyprus towards a two-state solution that will provide for an independent, viable and territorially contiguous Palestinian state on the borders of 4th June 1967 and with East Jerusalem as capital, which will coexist in peace side by side the State of Israel.”
Intervention of Georgos Koukoumas, member of the C.C. of AKEL and the International Relations Department, at the Hearing “Palestine: What’s Next?” organized by GUE/NGL2015-07-1
- Feb26 2015-02-26
- Nov13 2014-11-13