AKEL’s proposals to support culture by local authorities
Statement by the General Secretary of KE AKEL A. Kyprianou
AKEL C.C. Press Office, 20th May 2020, Nicosia
Cultural creation and people of culture have been severely affected by the coronavirus pandemic. As AKEL, we have taken various initiatives calling on the State to support cultural creation. Indeed we have published our proposals for support towards cultural artists.
We believe that local authorities can also contribute to supporting culture and its people. Towards this end, we have elaborated some proposals which we have sent to the Union of Municipalities and to the heads of local authorities.
More specifically, we propose the following:
- In the new economic plans that will be drawn up in Local Government, where and wherever possible cultural activity should not be affected. Cultural events may be reorganised with the participation solely of Cypriot artists. Where possible, cultural activities should concern all art forms.
- Open spaces should be used during the first stage (of the relaxation of restrictive measures) for the organization of various cultural activities, such as open theatres, squares, schoolyards, parking lots in general where there are large and spacious grounds.
- Municipal grounds for events should be granted with free rent and other material assistances. There should also be an exemption from paying entertainment tax.
- Agencies that have venues for holding events should be supported, by offering them incentives so that they can help the presentation of artists work.
- Various competitions – with cash prizes – for writing literary works, musical pieces and others should be announced,
- Painting, sculpture and book exhibitions to present the work of artists should be proclaimed and a program for the purchase of literary books for municipal libraries should be drawn up.
- Digitalisation programs based on European funds should be promoted.
- Municipalities and local communities should be supported financially on cultural activity issues and utilise European funds for culture.
Intervention of Georgos Koukoumas, member of the C.C. of AKEL and the International Relations Department, at the Hearing “Palestine: What’s Next?” organized by GUE/NGL2015-07-1
- Feb26 2015-02-26
- Nov13 2014-11-13