Declaration of the 21st Congress of AKEL to the people of Cyprus
The 21st Congress of AKEL, having regard to the decisive point of the struggle of our people, as well as the opportunities and challenges posed by the presence at the helm of the State of President Christofias:
1. Calls for the democratic unity the people of Cyprus to achieve the goal of lifting the occupation, for liberation and reunification of our country and our people and the democratic modernization and the continued progress of our country.
Supports with all its strength the President of the Republic Demetris Christofias in his effort to implement the vision for a just solution and just society.
Expresses the firm commitment of the party for a Bizonal – Bi-communal Federation, which will ensure the unity of the state, its institutions and the economy, will respect human rights and freedoms, will free Cyprus from the presence of troops, the settlement and the guarantor powers and will be compatible with international and European law and the relevant UN resolutions on Cyprus.
2. Asserts that AKEL will continue to work with persistence and determination, for the broadest possible unity of the people and for a strong domestic front which is a prerequisite for the effective conduction of our struggle. It urges the political forces to put aside petty political considerations and planning and to stand beside the President of the Republic at the battle of negotiations to achieve the objectives of the people of Cyprus.
3. Welcomes the important work being produced in the internal governance, particularly in addressing and solving long-lasting important issues for Cypriot society, like the viability of the Social Insurance Fund, the water shortage, transportations, housing, and refugee assistance, the farm debts, low pensions, immigration policy, the plan for the protection of Akamas, the educational reform, the reform of the Charter of Local Self-Government, etc.
4. Expresses its appreciation of the social policy of the Government which has not been affected by the consequences of the global financial crisis. The philosophy of dealing with the consequences of the crisis by the government continues to be socially sensitive, fair and balanced.
Reaffirms the commitment of the party towards the people of Cyprus that it will work together with President Christofias for the complete implementation of the government programme.
5. Asserts that consistently and decisively, based on its rich democratic historical path, AKEL will continue to respond to the worries, aspirations and interests of the working people and the people of Cyprus as a whole, remaining at the forefront of the struggles for a democratic, modern and just society into a peaceful united and prosperous country for all its children, Greekcypriots, Turkishcypriots Armenians, Maronites and Latins. AKEL is and will remain strong and persistent power for the working people and for our people as a whole, a power for Cyprus.
Intervention of Georgos Koukoumas, member of the C.C. of AKEL and the International Relations Department, at the Hearing “Palestine: What’s Next?” organized by GUE/NGL2015-07-1
- Feb26 2015-02-26
- Nov13 2014-11-13